MyRootsPlace

Genealogy, History, Archives & More!

 Evergreen Cemetery, Bisbee, Cochise, Arizona, United States


Evergreen Cemetery

Notes:
Also known as: Bisbee City Cemetery
The Evergreen Cemetery, located in the Lowell suburb of Bisbee, was established in 1912 to replace the original cemetery located in Brewery Gulch of downtown Old Bisbee. The new cemetery resulted from public health concerns that water well contamination was the cause of a series of typhoid outbreaks. The remains were relocated from Brewery Gulch to Evergreen in 1914. The cemetery reflects the multi-cultural and international flavor of this community, which was dominated by the copper mining industry. Mine, mill, and smelter employees and support vendors came from all parts of the U.S., Mexico, Canada, and northern, eastern, and southern Europe. From the cemetery, you can see head frames from the historic underground copper mines, and reclaimed dumps and stockpiles. The U. S. Dept. of Interior officially placed the Evergreen Cemetery in the National Register of Historic Places on October 7, 2005.


This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 11.0.0, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2017.