Genealogy, History, Archives & More!


Matches 1 to 25 of 15,087

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 604» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
Godparents Michael Flynn and Ann Philliben 
Flynn, Honor (I120000)

Donald Wayne Compton born Oct. 13, 1928 in Oklahoma passed away at home on May 12, 2012 in the arms of his sister, Patty Kolstad and honorary brother Jim Clowers. Donald was a 52 year resident of Chehalis moving from Oklahoma in 1963. He loved life and put up a courageous fight after suffering a heart attack Feb. 13. He loved playing bingo with his special friend and companion Marie Kaszychi and was a frequent visitor to the casino.

He is survived by his daughter Vicki Steele (Tracy), sister, Patricia Kolstad, niece Cathy Jones, grandchildren, Mike and Ryan Compton, Kevin, Kenneth and Kristine Steele, Karen Capps, Karyl Kempton and Karina Johnston, 21 great-grandchildren, two great-great-grandchildren, many close friends including Peggy Morant, who he considered his sister. He was preceded in death by his wife, Jeanette (Tyng), his mother, father, son and grandson.

A graveside service will be held Thursday, May 17 at 11:30 a.m. at Claquato Cemetery, Chehalis, Wash.
Washington Chronicle 
Compton, Donald Wayne (I147973)

Eli B. Marshall. A custom which in recent years has made much progress in the rural communities of the middle west, and which in itself is indicative of higher standards of comfort and independence in life, is the giving of names to the individual farms, a custom that probably adds no material value to the place, but is nonetheless attractive for that reason. The first country home in Grant county to be formally designated with a title was the Catalpa Stock Farm, of which Eli B. Marshall has been proprietor for over forty years, coming here March 1, 1871. The Catalpa farm is the home of Poland-China hogs, and some of the finest stock of this kind raised in eastern Indiana is to be found on the place of Mr. Marshall. He makes a specialty of breeding PolandChina hogs, and his public sales conducted every season have put his stock into nearly every state of the Union.

Mr. Marshall who is one of the larger and most prosperous farmers of Grant county was born in Boone county, Indiana, May 6, 1846, and belongs to one of the old families of the state. His parents were Joshua and Tamar (Osborn) Marshall. The father was a son of Thomas Marshall and the latter a son of Joseph Marshall, who was born in Virginia. Thomas Marshall, the grandfather, came over the Blue Ridge Mountains to Henry county, Indiana, thence moving to Boone county, where he died. Joshua Marshall was maiTied in Boone county, and took up his residence in Grant county in 1847. In the latter county he spent the rest of his life. He was a man whose interest was identified with public affairs, and in the early days he was one of the leaders in the improvement of the roads of the county. In politics his vote and interest were at first in support of the Whig organization, and later was Republican. A story that is told of this old resident as a part of family tradition is that he voted in that county at a time when a hollow stump served as the ballot box of his precinct, and each voter marched up and deposited his ticket in the recess of this old stump. Joshua Marshall was a birthright Quaker, and throughout his life continued an influential and interested worker in his church. He was the father of ten children, of whom the three living in 1913 are: Ruth, wife of Samuel Small; Eli B. and William R., who is a minister of the Baptist church in Arkansas.

Eli B. Marshall has spent practically all his career in Grant county. He was reared during the days of primitive schools and school facilities, and had only such education as was given by the local institutions, and had the training of the farm and the wholesome rural environment of more than half a century ago. Farming has been his regular career, and he is one of the men who have prospered to an exceptional degree. In 1870 he bought the Sidney Harvey farm, and still owns that place. Since locating with his family there in March, 1871, he has lived and prospered for more than forty years, and from that place his foster chidren have gone out into independent work and existence. He married Sarah A. Charles, a daughter of Dr. Henry Charles. This wife died without issue, having been killed on June 27,1901, when she was thrown from her buggy in front of her home. Though they had no children of their own, they adopted in their home and reared or partly reared nineteen boys and girls. Such practical benevolence is seldom met with. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall dressed, fed and provided home and educational facilities to these children, who in turn have honored their adopted parents. For his second wife Mr. Marshall married Myra (Vickey) Webster. Mrs. Marshall has been for many years a minister of the Friends church. At the present time they have in their home a boy who is being reared under their care, and that completes the total of twenty children, who have been assisted and have found homes and shelter and protection under the Marshall roof-tree. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall are members of the Quaker church, and he is an elder in the church and has held that distinction since he was twenty-two years of age. He assisted in building the church in Franklin township, having contributed liberally to that organization in the erection of both the buildings, which have furnished its religious home during the last forty or fifty years. Mr. Marshall was formerly a prominent member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is a Republican, without special party activities. The Catalpa farm contains one hundred and thirty-three acres, and is situated on section twenty-seven in Franklin township. In 1886 Mr. Marshall erected a comfortable brick house, and the other buildings include good barns, granaries and places for the shelter of stock and machinery. The improvements are excellent and the farm well upholds the dignity conferred by its name Catalpa Stock Farm.

Mrs. Marshall, as already stated, preaches in the Friends church, and has a regular charge at Maple Run church. She has been prominently identified with organization work in the church in Grant, Wabash, Huntington, Wells, and Henry counties. She was born in Rush county, Indiana, being a native Hoosier. Mr. Marshall when little more than a boy answered the call of patriotism, and enlisted in April, 1864, in Company C of the One Hundred and Thirty-ninth Indiana Infantry. His regiment was attached to the Army of the Cumberland, but he was never in any engagements or fighting. His duty and that of the regiment was the transportation of captured Confederates to Chicago and other Federal places of imprisonment. He was mustered out at the end of his term of enlistment in November, 1864, having been away from home about seven months. He now has membership in the Swayzee Post of the Grand Army of the Republic. His brother Levi Marshall was a member of the One Hundred and First Indiana Regiment, and served from the beginning of the war until his death a few days after the battle of Chickamauga, although he was not wounded therein. Joseph Marshall, another brother, was a member of the Thirty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was with Sherman on his march to the sea and then on until the close of the war.

Source: Centennial history of Grant County, Indiana, 1812 to 1912, Edited by Rolland Lewis Whitson. The Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago:1914
Marshall, "Doctor" Eli Brandt (I75000)

Mr. Gerald Saul Schwab Sr. was born on November 4th, 1932, and passed away suddenly on December 18th, 2009. Jerry was born and raised in the Bronx, New York and moved around the East Coast as a salesman with his young family before relocating to California. Visalia became his home in the early '70's. Jerry proudly served in the Air Force during the Korean War as a Crash Crew member at Travis AFB in Fairfield, and then in Mountain Home, Idaho. In addition to his career in sales, he was a Tulare County Reserve, a volunteer Fireman, a Deputy Sheriff, a high school and community college football referee, and an Explorer Scout Leader. Jerry loved collecting and trading guns, his Monday night poker games with the "boys," and he loved arguing his point and closing a deal. He could make friends with anyone, anytime-he never met a stranger. He enjoyed gathering his entire family at holidays to see who could be the loudest, them or him. Jerry often said that raising German Shepherds would have been easier than raising kids, but the conversations with his children were much more interesting! Jerry is survived by a large and loving family. His wife of 56 years, Bonnie, and their 6 children: Kathleen Rizzo, Lynn Mathias and husband Delmer, Deborah Sparshott and husband Steve, Renee Nanna and husband Bo, Stacy Schwab, and Jerry Schwab Jr. Jerry and Bonnie also have 7 grandchildren-- Christine Mathias, Taryn Giotta, Mara Rizzo, Eric Sparshott, Randy and Haylie Hoppert, and Megan Schwab; and 3 great-grandchildren-Grant and Lexi Giotta and Sophie Sparshott. A memorial service will be held Wednesday, December 23, 2009, 4:00 p.m. at Salser & Dillard Funeral Chapel 127 E. Caldwell Visalia, CA 93277. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that remembrances be made to the Valley Oak SPCA. 29016 Highway 99, Visalia.

Published in Visalia Times-Delta on December 22, 2009
Schwab, Gerald Saul (I121112)

SHINNSTON ? Jack Sandy Anderson, noted historian, author and educator, died unexpectedly at the age of 83 on Sunday, July 26, 2015, at his home in Lumberport.

Jack Sandy Anderson was born April 28, 1932, in the home of his grandmother, Cora Martin Sandy, at Pine Bluff. It was from her and other relatives that he came to his love of history.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Russell Lowell Anderson and Pearle Sandy Anderson; three stepbrothers, Burton Russell, William Lowell and Robert Johnson Anderson; and one stepsister, Kathryn Jane Anderson.

He grew up in Harrison County and attended Pine Bluff and Wyatt schools, finishing high school at Shinnston, where he graduated as the class Secretary and Salutatorian. After graduating from Fairmont State, he received government grants to study the advanced sciences at Bethany College, Jackson State University and Northeastern University. Marion County Schools benefited as he spent 31 years teaching, beginning in 1955.

He always had a special love for local history, engendered by his grandmother and other relatives, particularly the area of his birth and family roots. In his lifetime, he was well-acquainted with past West Fork Valley historians Nettie Bartlett Cooper, Harvey W. Harmer, W. Guy Tetrick, Glenn Lough, John Findlayson and Harvey Fortney. At the age of 15 he was attending meetings of the Marion County Historical Society and became president of that organization in 1967.

In 1970, the society sponsored the formation of the Prickett?s Fort Memorial Foundation. David H. Jones was president and he served as vice president. Together, they and William J. Wilcox traveled to Charleston to petition Gov. Arch Moore for state funds needed to complete the fort?s construction. Marion County continues to benefit from their efforts.

Jack was also an original board member of the Harrison County West Virginia Historical Society. In 1967, he worked to raise funds for the purchase of the Amy Roberts Vance House, which serves as the society?s headquarters and museum to this day. Through his efforts, the society was able to acquire many objects, manuscripts and historic photos in its collection.

All was not study, however, and he got great enjoyment collecting antiques. His interest was captured by stamps, coins, historical and military memorabilia and glassware. He enjoyed cooking and compiled seven cookbooks to help fundraising efforts in his community and church, where he also played piano for 30 years.

Jack Sandy Anderson has been a leading historian in Harrison and Marion counties and has authored many historical articles published in newspapers, magazines and books. Beginning in 1960, he wrote and published ?Ramblings,? a book devoted to Shinnston area history, followed by ?Other Days.?

In 2014, he worked with the Harrison County West Virginia Historical Society to republish Granville Davisson Hall?s ?Old Gold,? and a collection of his articles on Harrison County titled ?Out of the Past, Harrison County History Vignettes.?

On Tuesday, July 21, Jack worked to finish the final edits of his collection of Marion County history articles titled, ?Glimpses of the Past, Marion County History Vignettes.? It was his wish to live to see it to its completion and be able to present copies to his friends. Additionally, Jack made provisions through the Harrison County Historical Society to keep his works in print for future generations, such was his love of our heritage.

To those who knew him, Jack was a friend and mentor. He was young in spirit, always ready to lend a helping hand, whether it was to speak or offer a seasoned word of advice and wit. His encyclopedic knowledge and perspective made him a master storyteller. He was a one of-a-kind treasure whose absence is sorely felt.

He was active in a number of historical and ancestral-patriotic organizations: past president of the Marion County Historical Society, past president of the Harrison County Historical Society, organizing president of the Shinnston Historical Association, past state president of the Sons of the Revolution, past state president of the Huguenot Society and co-founder and first vice president of the Pricketts Fort Memorial Foundation. He was a member of the George Rogers Clark Chapter, Sons of the American Revolution, and the West Virginia Historical Society. He was founder and past commander of the Military Order of Foreign Wars in West Virginia. His biography can be found in The Hereditary Register of the United States of America, Personalities of the South, Outstanding West Virginians and The West Virginia Heritage Encyclopedia.

Jack is survived by his sister, Patricia (Patty) Sampson and her husband Roy, his niece, Janie Hardesty and her husband Butch; six nephews, Roy Lee Sampson, Jamie and his wife Liz Sampson, Jeffrey Sampson and companion Wendy, Tracie Sampson and fiancÚ Tracey, all of Lumberport, Arthur Anderson and his wife Leena of South Portland, Maine, and William Anderson, also of South Portland, Maine; 18 nieces and nephews; 24 great-nieces and nephews; and one great-great-great-niece, Jordan Hanna; and one special niece, ?Maddie,? who shared the love of the Chinese restaurant in Fairmont with Jack.

Friends will be received at the Harmer Funeral Home, 300 Pike St., Shinnston, on Thursday, July 30, 2015, from 4-6 p.m. A celebration of Jack?s life will be conducted at 6 p.m. with Pastor Harry Holbert officiating.

In lieu of flowers, the family has asked for memorial contributions to be made to the Harrison County Humane Society, at P.O. Box 4397 Clarksburg, WV 26302.

A service of the Harmer Funeral Home, Shinnston.
Anderson, Jack Sandy (I53001)
Alexander Graham Bell Fairchild, 87, Dies

Published: February 17, 1994

Alexander Graham Bell Fairchild, a research entomologist at the University of Florida and the last living grandson of Alexander Graham Bell, died last Thursday at his home in Gainesville, Fla. He was 87.

The cause was cancer, the university said.

Mr. Fairchild, who was known as Sandy, spent almost 30 years in Central America and South America studying the role of insects in disease. Since 1970, he had been a research professor of entomology at the University of Florida and a research associate at the Florida State Collection of Arthropods in Gainesville.

He was the author of more than 140 articles in scientific journals and was a member of the New York Academy of Sciences and the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He was named entomologist of the year in 1968 by the Entomological Society of America.

Mr. Fairchild is survived by his wife, Elva, and a daughter, Alice Fairchild, both of Gainesville; a son, David, of Carmel Valley, Calif., and a grandson. 
Fairchild, Alexander Graham Bell (I58602)
Andrew Barton (Bart) Shinn and Walter (Walt) Shinn were brothers with Bart being about 6 years older. Walt had not had a women yet and was curious about it. Bart was experienced and volunteered to show Walt how it was done. They hatched a scheme where at the next church social Walt would be up in a tree and Bart would entice a lady over under the tree for Walt to watch. Bart managed to get a lady over to and under the tree and was in the process of seducing her clothes off when she finally saw Walt up in the tree limbs and that was the end of that little scheme. 
Shinn, Walter (I13804)
Arlene Elizabeth Kelley, 84, of Falun Kansas, died October 10, 2011 at Pinnacle Park Nursing Home, in Salina.
She was born in Fostoria Kansas to Ray Clyde and Mable Florence (Kastner) Mundell. She graduated from Falun High School in 1945. She married Charles W Kelley March 7, 1948 in Salina Kansas.
She was a lifetime membe of Salemsborg Lutheran Church, LCW, and WELCA Womans Secretary, Sunday School Teacher, Sewing Club, and 4H Leader. She worked as a switchboard operator, a cook at Bethan College and Bethan Home both of Lindsborg, and McCall Manor in Salina Kansas before retiring. The lived on a farm in rural Falun throughout their 63 yeas of married life.
She is survived her husband Charles of Salina, her three sons Larry and wife Rosanne, Wichita; Duane of Kingfisher OK; Lenn and wife Charla, Olathe KS; and daughter Dilyn and husband Tom Hauck, Knoxville TN; and ten grandchildren, two step granddaughters, five great grandchildren, and two brothers Richard and wife Karen Mundell, Littleton CO and Robert and Barbara Mundell of St George KS. and sister-in-law Connie Mundell Lake Havasu AZ.
She was preceeded in death by her two sisters Delpha Adams and Geneva Seymour. a brother Danny Mundell and grandson Jarett Kelley  
Mundell, Arlene Elizabeth (I126393)
B.F. Mansker, 74, of Falcon, died Sunday, Oct. 29, 2006, at St. John's Hospital-Springfield.

He was born Sept. 17, 1932, in Wright County, Mo., to Benjamin Franklin Mansker and Estella Joan Bresler Mansker, who preceded him in death. He also was preceded in death by two children, Lisa Marie and Larry Dale Mansker; a sister, Geneva Irene Mansker; two half brothers, Glen and Horace Gibbons.

On June 22, 1955, he married Ada Marie Cutbirth Shields.

He owned and operated Mansker and Sons Auto Body and Used Cars. He also was an auto body repairman at Fort Leonard Wood Civil Service and owner of Agape Land Grocery.

Survivors include his wife, Marie Mansker, of the home; two sons, Doug Mansker, of Falcon and Darren Mansker and his wife, Sherry, of Lebanon; two daughters, Sheila Davis and her husband, Philip, of Springfield and Sharon K. Mansker, of Lebanon; two brothers, James Mansker and his wife, Norma, of Falcon and Paul Mansker and his wife, Edith, of Lebanon; a sister, Mary Cline, of Boise, Idaho; nine grandchildren, one great-grandchild; two sisters-in-law, Mabel Gibbons, of Redmon, Ore. and Doris Gibbons, of Junction City, Ore.; also other relatives.

Services for B.F. Mansker will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2006, at Shadel's Colonial Chapel.

Burial will be in Roper Cemetery near Morgan, with military honors by V.F.W. Post No. 4107, under the direction of Shadel's Colonial Chapel of Lebanon.

Visitation will be from 1 p.m. Wednesday until service time at 2 p.m. in the chapel.

A memorial has been established to Roper Cemetery.  
Mansker, Benjamin Franklin Jr (I77579)
Binghamton Press, Tuesday, Jan 19, 1960

MALONEY?Mrs Camilla Aldrich Maloney, age 44, died Monday morning at Harrisburg, Pa. She is survived by one brother, F William Aldrich of Bethlehem, Pa; two sisters, Mrs Jessie Lewis of New Milford, Pa and Mrs Jane VanZandt of Sun Valley, Idaho.

The body was removed to the Fisher Funeral Home, Harrisburg, Pa., and will arrive in New Milford. Pa, Thursday morning and be taken to the Yeisley Funeral Home. New Mllford, Pa, where friends may call Thursday from 12 noon to 2 pm. The funeral will be held at 8 pm, Wednesday from the Fisher Funeral Home, Harrisburg, Pa, and at 2 pm, Thursday from the Yeisley Funeral Home, New Mllford, Pa. The Rev. Harry Smith, of the New Milford Methodist Church, will officiate at the service Thursday. Burial will be in the New Milford Cemetery. 
Aldrich, Camilla (I154182)
Bobby Richburg
Published Wednesday, February 7, 1996 in the Nevada County Picayune
Rev. Bobby Jack Richburg, 62, of Fouke died Wednesday, January 31, 1996, at his residence.
Born August 26, 1933, at Lorenzo, Texas, he was a retired employee of Cooper Tire and Rubber Company. He was a retired Nazarene minister. He attended the Cathederal Heights Church of the Nazarene.
Survivors include his wife, Helen Avery Richburg of Fouke; two sons, Tony Richburg of Lindsay, Texas, and Jay Richburg of Texarkana, Texas; three daughters, Cindy Whittington of Texarkana, Ark., Crystal Carver of Leary, Texas, and Candy Hanson of Blevins; three brothers, Perry D. Richburg of Athens, Texas, G.W. Richburg Jr., of Laneburg, Texas, and Bill Richburg of Dallas, Texas; two sisters, Daisy Deaton of Athens, Texas, and Dorothy Shoemaker of Midlothian, Texas; 10 grandchildren; and one great grandchild.
Services were held Friday, February 2, at Cathederal Heights Church of the Nazarene with Rev. Russell Branstetter and Rev. Harold Durham officiating. Burial was at Rock Springs Cemetery under the direction of Texarkana Funeral Home. 
Richburg, Rev. Bobby Jack (I127703)
Charles was married first to Frances Willard Thompson 1891 to 1922 and had daughters, Charlotte Lucille Hoover 1915 to 1985 and Frances L Hoover 1919.  
Family F47273
Curtis Roosevelt (born Curtis Roosevelt Dall, April 19, 1930) is an American writer. He is the son of Anna Roosevelt and her first husband, Curtis Bean Dall. He is the eldest grandson of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt.

After two years serving in the United States Army, Roosevelt obtained his master's degree from the School of Government and Public Law at Columbia University. Between 1956 and 1964, he worked for several years in advertising and then primarily for nonprofit institutions, including the National Citizens Commission for the Public Schools, the New School for Social Research, and Columbia University, and as director of the United States Committee for the United Nations. In 1964, he was recruited by the Secretariat of the United Nations and in the following years, until 1983, held various positions in the international civil service.[1]

Roosevelt served as principal at the Dartington College of Arts in Devon, England, retiring in 1986. Since then he has served as a visiting professor at the Geneva School of Diplomacy and International Relations, receiving an honorary doctorate in 2010. In 1987, he and his wife Marina moved to Deia, Mallorca, where Roosevelt devoted himself to pottery, some of his work being exhibited in a Palma gallery. He also occasionally wrote on American politics for El Mundo in Spain.

Roosevelt's book Too Close to the Sun: Growing up in the Shadow of my Grandparents Franklin and Eleanor was published in 2008 and led to a series of radio and television appearances by the author. In 2012, the book was translated and published in France.

The Roosevelts now live in a small village in the south of France, where Marina has served on the conseil municipal. He has lectured at Lille University and regularly appears on French television. He also writes occasionally for Le Figaro, the International Herald Tribune and has had articles in La Tribune, France-Amerique, Marianne, and the Commune de la Commune. Because of his connection to his famous family, Roosevelt is often consulted by the Roosevelt Library at Hyde Park and the National Park Service for comments on library exhibits and historic homes Springwood and Val-Kill.

In 2013, Roosevelt published an essay in e-book form, "Eyewitness in Israel: 1948", detailing his journey, at age 18, to the then new nation at the behest of his grandmother Eleanor, with whom he was traveling in Paris and who sent him in her stead to report back.

Personal life

Roosevelt has a younger half-brother, John, and an elder sister, Eleanor. When he was three, Curtis, his sister, and his mother moved into the White House, where they lived for many years until his mother remarried. Curtis Roosevelt was often referred to as "Buzzie" in 1930s newspapers. After his parents' divorce, his mother married journalist Clarence John Boettiger. When his mother was divorced from Boettiger, Eleanor Roosevelt and Anna did not want Curtis to reassume the surname Dall, so Mrs. Roosevelt suggested he use his middle name as his last name.

Roosevelt married four times, first in 1950 to Robin V. Edwards, with whom he had one daughter, Julianna E. Roosevelt. He subsequently married Ruth W. Sublette in 1955 and Jeanette Schlottman in 1961. Since 1985, he has been married to Marina Roosevelt.

Major publications

Too Close to the Sun: Growing Up in the Shadow of my Grandparents, Franklin and Eleanor. Public Affairs. New York, 2008.
"Eyewitness in Israel: 1948". self-published e-book, 2013 
Dall, Curtis Roosevelt "Buzzie" (I151309)
Eula was the daughter of Albert F. and Ollie E. (Hill) McElyea.
She also married 1st, James Ruel Peddicord and had children:
1. Edwin Eugene Peddicord
2. Alvin E Peddicord
3. Jacquelyn C Peddicord

McElyea, Eula Mae (I147575)
Extract: 1880 United States Census
CensusPlace: Washington, Washington, Oregon
Source: FHL Film 1255084; National Archives Film T9-1084; Page 317A
Rel Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
Self Male W W 31 OH
Occ: FarmerFa: OH Mo: PA
Joseph M. SHINN
Son Male SW 5 IA
Fa: OH Mo: OR
Charles E. SHINN
Son Male S W 3 IA
Fa: OH Mo: OR 
Shinn, John Winfield Scott (I9636)
Fugitive slave, abolitionist leader, a spy, nurse, feminist, and social reformer during a period of profound racial, social, and economic upheaval in the United States. Harriet Tubman became known as the most famous guide of the Underground Railroad, a secret network that during the mid-1800s helped slaves escape to freedom in the northern United States and Canada. Nicknamed the "Moses of her people," she was never caught and she never lost a slave to the Southern militia. Standing only five feet tall and suffering from sudden sleep seizures because of a head injury received as a child, Tubman nevertheless possessed the courage and resolve to face physical danger many times while pursuing freedom for her people in nineteenth-century America. Originally named Araminta Ross, she was born into slavery on a plantation in Dorchester County near Cambridge, Maryland, about 1820, one of eleven children of Benjamin and Harriet (Greene) Ross who provided a loving and nurturing environment for their children. They shared with there children a strong religious faith and love of African American folklore. Her father taught her a knowledge of the woods that later helped her in her rescue missions. Tubman's grandparents on both sides had come to America in chains from Africa. At age eleven Tubman adopted her mother's name. Unlike some slaves who were sold to landowners in the deep South, Tubman experienced relative stability while growing up. From her early childhood she had to work as a weaver, maid, child's nurse, and even field hand for neighboring families who hired her services from her owner, Edward Broadas. At age thirteen while working in the field one day for a farmer named, Barrett, a fellow slave left his field work early and went to a general store. The overseer caught up with the man and started to bind him for a whipping. The slave suddenly bolted out the door, however, and as he ran away, Tubman tried to shield him. She was knocked unconscious with a fractured skull when the enraged overseer threw a two-pound weight at the escaping slave. The injury to her head was quite serious, and although she eventually recovered, Tubman suffered for the rest of her life from recurring seizures that plunged her into unconsciousness without warning. In 1844, she married John Tubman, a free African American from the Cambridge area. Little is known about her relationship with her husband and they had no children, but there are reports that he was not an ambitious man and that he thought his wife worried too much about her condition as a slave. Though Tubman was illiterate, she had a probing mind especially in regard to the legal status of blacks. She soon discovered that one of her mother's owners, Mary Patterson, had died young and unmarried, leaving no provisions for her. A lawyer told Tubman that her mother therefore unknowingly was legally free at the time. This information further embittered Tubman toward the institution of slavery and the legal and social system that supported it. From 1847 to 1849 she worked for Dr. Anthony Thompson, Jr., a physician, real estate speculator, and Methodist clergyman. The death of her owner, young Brodas, in 1849 gave rise to rumors that she and his other slaves were to be sold south, and rather than face this prospect, she soon broke for freedom, alone and unaided, and made her way to Philadelphia. "I had crossed the line of which I had so long been dreaming," Tubman later remembered. "I was free; but there was no one to welcome me to the land of freedom." She missed her family and immediately set into motion a plan to rescue them. Finding work as a cook and domestic, Tubman saved her wages to finance her repeated trips into Maryland to free her relatives and others which eventually lead to the freedom of three hundred slaves. Her missions were extremely dangerous and demanded great strength and endurance, both physically and mentally. Tubman often disguised herself as an old woman to aid her in her daring missions and her familiarity with the Bible as well as the music and folklore of the day allowed her to use religious scriptures and songs as a kind of code that alerted slaves to her presence, signaled danger, or let them know when it was safe to come out of hiding. She possessed leadership qualities that were quickly recognized by men and women she escorted to freedom and the abolitionists with whom she worked with. In addition to her commanding presence, Tubman made up for her small stature by carrying a long rifle and threatened to kill anyone who tried to turn back or stop her. By 1857 she had freed her entire family, including her aging parents. This all brought Tubman in contact with prominent abolitionists in the North including John Brown, William H. Seward, Susan B. Anthony, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and the Alcott family. These individuals supported Tubman's work financially and welcomed her into their homes when she needed shelter. During all this, slave owners who regarded her as a troublemaker offered huge rewards for her capture which once totaled $40,000. After the passage of the Fugitive Slave Law in 1850 which made freedom precarious even for African Americans living in the North. Tubman was forced to began leading slaves into Canada, where they enjoyed complete safety under protection of Great Britain. From 1851 to 1857, Tubman lived intermittently in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. She then moved to Auburn, New York, and settled there permanently with her parents after the Civil War. During the Civil War, Tubman broadened the scope of her activities serving as a nurse, scout, and spy for the Union Army in South Carolina. During one military campaign, she helped free more than 750 slaves. She also taught newly-freed blacks how to become self-sufficient. After the war, Tubman returned to Auburn and devoted herself to those she felt needed her help the most-children and the elderly. She cared for her parents, raised funds for schools, for former slaves, collected clothes for destitute children, found housing for the elderly and assisted the poor and disabled. She worked closely with African American churches that had raised money for the Underground Railroad and provided overnight shelter for runaway slaves. With her characteristic penchant for action, Tubman purchased twenty-five acres of land adjoining her house in 1896. Seven years later, with the help of the AME Zion Church, she built the Harriet Tubman Home for Aged and Indigent Colored People. It officially opened its doors in 1908. She also remarried after the war. Her first husband, John Tubman, did not join her after she fled to freedom, and he died in 1867. In 1869 she married Nelson Davis, twenty-two years her junior and a former slave who had served in the Union Army. The marriage lasted twenty years until his death. Despite the acclaim that had come Tubman's way as a result of her Underground Railroad activities, she always had to struggle against poverty. Tubman used the proceeds from the 1886 book Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People to help pay off her farm. She spent the last two years of her life as a resident of her own home (which is now a national landmark) for the aged poor, where she died of pneumonia at about ninety-three years old on March 10, 1913. Tubman was buried with military honors. A year later, the residents of Auburn held a memorial service, at which time a tablet was unveiled that paid tribute to her accomplishments. As the personification of strength and the quest for freedom, Tubman is an enduring figure among United States heroes. During World War II, a liberty ship was christened the Harriet Tubman in her honor. In 1978, the U. S. Postal Service issued a Harriet Tubman commemorative stamp. And poets, artists, and musicians continue to express their admiration of this unassuming yet courageous woman who led so many to freedom and helped undermine the institution of slavery. (bio by: Curtis Jackson)  
Ross, Araminta Harriet "Minty" (I61938)
Gerald H. Shinn - UNCW Professor Shinn dies; memorial service planned
A memorial service is being planned at the University of North Carolina Wilmington for Gerald H. Shinn, a beloved professor who founded the North Carolina Living Treasures program.

Shinn, 78, died Saturday at his home in Albemarle after being in declining health for some time. He joined the faculty in 1967, when UNCW was still Wilmington College, and taught there until his retirement in 1995.

A colorful character who claimed his motto was, "Never let your school get in the way of your education," Shinn was known for his classroom stunts, from blowing a conch horn to illustrate Joshua's tactics in the siege of Jericho or having logic students sketch Venn diagrams in chalk on the campus sidewalks. He referred to students as "young'uns" and insisted on sending them to primary sources for answers, explaining that he was not "in the tellin' business." "He was a mentor for many of the students, including my son," said Peggy Dreyfors of Wilmington, a longtime friend. "They just admired him."

Shinn roamed the campus in a Greek fisherman's cap with his necktie often tucked in his shirt pocket. (In a 2000 interview with Sherman Hayes for UNCW's Randall Library, Shinn said that tucking the necktie in the shirt pocket was the secret emblem of a "fraternity" he formed with fellow students who couldn't afford a traditional Greek membership.)

Officially a professor of philosophy and religion, he favored an interdisciplinary approach. "What I teach is students," he once said. "I don't teach subjects."

Among his innovations was UNCW's Museum of World Cultures, a collection of artifacts, art objects and memorabilia from cultures around the globe, which he deliberated scattered into display cases in classroom buildings across campus so more students could see it.

In 1975, in honor of the centennial of Albert Schweitzer's birth, Shinn launched the Albert Schweitzer International Prizes to honor outstanding achievement in music, medicine and the humanities ? and to bring honorees to campus where students could meet them. Among the first recipients was Mother Teresa, who came to UNCW four years before she received the Nobel Peace Prize. Other honorees included the cellist Andres Segovia, the biochemist and Chinese scholar Joseph Needham and the drug researcher George H. Hitchings, who would later receive the Nobel Prize in medicine.

Presented at roughly four-year intervals, the Schweitzer Prizes lasted until 1993. In their place, the Prizes' board of directors chose to create the Albert Schweitzer Honors Scholars program, which continues to this day. The first Honors Scholar, in 2002, was Gerald H. Shinn.

In 1986, through the Museum of World Cultures and with an endowment by Dr. Martin Meyerson in honor of his mother, Shinn launched the N.C. Living Treasures program, which recognized folk artists and artisans ? from potters to gunsmiths to shipwrights ? for lifetime achievement.

Shinn's honors included Outstanding Teacher of the Year, the UNCW Trustees' Teaching Excellence Award, Professor of the Year Award from the Council for Advancement and Support of Education, the UNCW Student Government Teaching Award and the UNCW Distinguished Teaching Professorship. In 1994, he received the O. Max Gardner Award from the University of North Carolina Board of Governors for faculty who have "made the greatest contributions to the welfare of the human race."

The Gerald Shinn UNCW Alumni Association Merit Scholarship was named in his honor. Shinn Plaza on the UNCW campus was dedicated in his honor in 2001.

Born Dec. 4, 1934, in Charlotte to Fred and Autie Shinn, Gerald Harris Shinn grew up moving around western North Carolina, where his father was a Methodist minister. After graduating from Cooleemee High School, he attended Duke University, where he worked in the dining hall to pay his way.

Shinn graduated in 1956 with a degree in German. In the Hayes interview, he talked about the impact that reading Albert Schweitzer's "Out of My Life and Thought" in the original German had made on his life.

"His whole life seemed to form around what Schweitzer called 'reverence for life,'?" said Shinn's daughter, Ruth Heath, in a telephone interview. "I think that was what drove him. He thought you could learn from everyone, and everyone had something to offer."

Shinn went on to earn a master of divinity degree from Duke in 1959, in Semitic languages, In later years, in conjunction with Tel Aviv University, he would lead UNCW students on archeological digs in Israel. After a year of study in Germany, he returned to Duke, where he earned a Ph.D. in medieval church history in 1964.

Shinn first taught at Louisburg College. Then, in 1967, seeking sea air for relief of severe asthma, he joined the faculty at Wilmington College.

Carolyn Simmons, former dean of the college of arts and sciences at UNCW, said a memorial service for Shinn will be held in UNCW's Randall Library. No date has been set.
Shinn, "Dr" Gerald Harris (I38963)
GRIMM, Lois H., 49, born April 19, 1941, in Poplar Bluff, MO, died Sept. 25, 1990, in Berrien Springs, Ml. She was a member of the Pioneer Memorial Church in Berrien Springs.
Survivors include her husband, Herbert; a son, Kevin; 4 daughters, Brenda, Karen, Bonita, and Krista; her parents, Paul and Ruth Borton; a sister, Leona Jones; a brother, Earl Borton; and a grandchild.
Services were conducted by Patrick Morrison,
and interment was in Rose Hill Cemetery,
Berrien Springs. 
Borton, Lois Helen (I68960)
He was newspaper Columnistand editor of the Doddridge County, Herald.
Shinn, Henry Hubert (I148129)
James Marley Sexton, 73, of Holly Hill in Oneida, died Thursday night, May 26, 1994, at the Scott County Hospital.

He was born in Huntsville on April 14, 1921. He was the son of the late Elvin Sexton and the late Callie Daniel Sexton.
In addition to his parents, he also was preceded in death by two brothers, Elwood and Thelbert Sexton.

He was a retired carpenter and a U.S. Army Veteran of World War II.

Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Hattie Wilson Sexton of Oneida, whom he married February 7, 1948; four daughters: Wilma King and husband, Arthur, of Oneida; Shelia Trammell and husband, Joe, of Winfield; Kaye Laxton and husband, Eddie, of Oneida; and Lynn Boyatt and husband, Jim, also of Oneida; seven sons: James R. Sexton of Lawrenceville, Ga.; George Sexton and wife, Shelia, of Oneida; Eddie Sexton and wife, Shelia Kaye, of Winfield; Ervin Sexton of Oneida; Steve Sexton and wife, Melessa, of Oneida; Marley D. Sexton and wife, Paula, of Oneida; and Timothy Sexton and wife, Lora, of Pine Knot, Ky.; 22 grandchildren; six step-grandchildren; one brother, Lawrence Sexton of Helenwood; five sisters: Rosie Lawson and Lucille Bowling of Huntsville Manor; Mossie Strunk of Capital Hill; Retha Mae Bowling of New River; and Linia Stonecipher of Detroit, Mich.; two special friends, Irene Chitwood of Winfield and Carletta Strunk of Georgia; several nieces, including a special niece, Delisa Sexton Hamby; and several nephews, including one special nephew, Luster Goodman; three step-great-grandchildren; and many other relatives.

Funeral services were conducted Monday at the West-Murley Funeral Home Chapel with Rev. David Brewster and Rev. Gary Boyatt officiating. The Jack Chitwood Family sang. Burial was in the Hazel Valley Cemetery. The Oneida American Legion Post #136 had charge of full military honors at the graveside. Pallbearers were Jim King, Jason Laxton, Jeremy Sexton, Derek Trammell, Anthony Sexton and Eric Trammell. West-Murley Funeral Home, Oneida, had charge of arrangements.

(Source: The Independent Herald, 2 Jun 1994, unknown page) 
Sexton, James Marley (I109155)
Lt. "Mac" Connolly Killed In Germany

Mrs. Mariellyn Andrews Con-nolly received from the War Department Sunday morning the distressing information that her husband, Lt. J.E. Connolly Jr. had been killed in action in Germany.
He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Connolly, Sr. He was a member of
Company I, 53rd Armored Regiment.
The information is that two tanks had previously been shot from under him. The effect of the news on Lockhart people was depressing in the
extreme. It was passed from one to another in whispers or low tones.
Another son, one of the flowers of Lockhart manhood, gives his life
in the cause of Freedom just as the day of Liberty is dawning over the
world. He is one of those who has won the thanks of millions yet to
live on the earth. If sympathetic words could alleviate the keen grief
of the sorrowing family, they would be spoken without limit and written in volumes. The words of David Russell, poet laureate of Texas, apply in the present instance:
"When sorrow comes no word the mind can frame
Can bear the burden of our sorrows weight.
There is no shadowed syllable so great.
That it can clothe our grief. Tears are lame
Though they speak well. Silence alone can claim
Dominion in that hour, silence alone.
So in this hour we falter, blood nd bone,
Speechless before the news that leaps like flame."
"Mac" Connolly was a young man who enjoyed every opportunity in life and be it said to his credit, he availed himself of every advantage.
He was graduated from the Lockhart High School in 1941, entered
A. & M. College at the next term thereafter and while a student enlisted in the service of his country.
Edward Connolly's life was that of a true man, his death was that of
a hero. Though for him this community grieves, of him i is justly proud.

SOURCE: Lockhart Post Register, Thursday, May 10, 1945, Lockhart, Texas, p. 1 
Connolly, James Edward "Mac" Jr (I17885)
March 29, 2010 12:00 am

MINONK ? William L. Goslin, 77, of Minonk, formerly of El Paso, died Thursday (March 25, 2010) at the Heritage Manor Nursing Home, Gibson City.

Service: 1 p.m. Tuesday at St. Paul?s United Church of Christ, Minonk, with the Rev. Jan Johnson officiating. Ruestman-Harris Funeral Home, Minonk, is in charge of arrangements.

Memorials: To the charity of the donor?s choice. Online condolences may be sent to the family at

Survivors: His wife, Ruby Robbins; five stepchildren, David (Diane) Stephens, Stanford; Don Stephens, Des Moines, Iowa; Dale (Pat) Stephens, Naperville; Janet (Don) Marshall, Minonk; and Gary (Dona) Robbins, Minonk; four children, Carole (Randy) Moore, Mahomet; Karen (Pat) Lynch, Gibson City; Bill Goslin, Westerville, Ohio; and Mark (Beth) Goslin, Champaign; nine grandchildren; one great-grandson; one sister, Phyllis (Paul) Crockett, Hendersonville, Tenn.; and one brother, Nick (Sue) Goslin, West Moreland, Tenn.
Goslin, William 'Bill' (I57258)
Nehna King of Mitchell died Thursday, February 12, 1998, at the Bedford Regional Medical Center. Born on April 19, 1924, in Marion County, IN, she was the daughter of Henry Fred and Myrtle Irene (Simpson) Hauser. She married Shelby M. King on July 3, 1943, in Lawrence County, and he survives.Also surviving are four sons: Gene King, Vincent King, Kent King, and Randy King, all of Mitchell, IN; two daughters: Tonya Gilbert and Annette Neely,both of Mitchell, IN; nineteen grandchildren; eleven great-grandchildren; one brother, Henry K. Hauser of Charleston, AK; and her step-father, William Alfred Harrington of Mitchell, IN. She was preceded in death by one son, Timothy D. King, in 1995, and one grandson, Kerry L. King, in 1997.She was a homemaker was was a member of Fairview Church of Christ in Huron, IN.Services for Nehna King will be at 2:00 p.m. Sunday, February 15th, at Ferguson-Lee Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Port William Cemetery in Williams, IN. 
Hauser, Nehna Irene (I95090)
NORMAL ? Betty Belle Porter, 89, formerly of Normal, died Wednesday (Feb. 8, 2012) at Valley 4000, Woodside Village, in Grand Forks, N.D.

No public service is planned.

She was born April 19, 1922, in Normal, the daughter of Frank L. and Lutie Belle Denman Irvin.

Betty attended Normal public schools, graduating from Normal Community High School in 1940. She then went on to receive a bachelor of science degree in home economics from Illinois State Normal University in 1944. After her graduation from college, she taught home economics and science classes at Ellsworth High School, Ellsworth, for one year before joining her husband in Moscow, Idaho, where he was stationed in the U.S. Army.

Betty Belle Irvin married Charles Baddeley Porter on July 4, 1944, in Normal. Betty and Chuck were high school sweethearts who first met at the age of 14. Chuck preceded her in death on Feb. 21, 2006. As she wished, Betty has been cremated and her family will gather this summer at the Denman Family farm in Carlock to scatter the ashes of Betty and Chuck together. Also preceding her in death were her parents and brother, Otis ?Bud? Denman Irvin.

Betty was a lifelong member of University Christian Church, Normal. She was active in many organizations, including Christian Women?s Fellowship, History Club and Ariel Club, a book club which has been in existence since 1892. She was a member of the McLean County Home Extension, McLean County Historical Society and Daughters of the American Revolution. She also served a term on the Bloomington YWCA board.

She enjoyed reading, history and travel. Betty and Chuck traveled to several European countries, Fiji, Tahiti, New Zealand, Australia and throughout the United States after Chuck?s retirement in 1979. They also spent many happy summers at their cabin on Gull Lake, near Brainerd, Minn.

Betty?s greatest joys were her family, especially her granddaughter and great-grandchildren, and her many good friends. She was always kind and welcoming. To her, if you were a friend, you were family.

Survivors include her two daughters, Janet (Jurgen) Suhr, Carlock, and Barbara (Isaac) Schlosser, Grand Forks, N.D.; one granddaughter, Kori (Christopher) Kobel, Bloomington; two great-grandchildren, Katie and Benjamin Kobel; three nieces, Susan (Stephen) Schwarten, Cambridge, Minn.; Carol (Thomas) Hupp, St. Charles; and Mari Porter, Champaign; and two nephews, Philip (Cindy) Porter, Lincoln, Neb., and Thomas (Deborah) Porter, Aurora.

Betty?s family wishes to extend its most heartfelt gratitude to Dr. Jonathon Berg and all the staff at Valley 4000, both at Wheatland Terrace (assisted living) and at Woodside Village (skilled care), for their devotion to her care in the last years of her life. They, too, were her family.

Donations in memory of Betty Porter may be made to: The Charles Porter Scholarship for Leadership, Illinois State University Department of Technology, Campus Box 5100, Normal, IL, 61761; or to the Valley Memorial Foundation, 2900 14th Avenue South, Grand Forks, ND, 58201 (with a note directing funds to either Woodside Village or Wheatland Terrace). 
Irvin, Bettie Belle (I115939)
Other Children of this Marriage were:
Samuel Gaskill b. January 23, 1663/64 d. Oct 22 1725
Hannah Gaskill b. January 02, 1668/69
Provided Gaskill b. April 22, 1672 d. Dec 04 1727
SarahGaskill b. June 09, 1676 d. Aug 03 1689
Mary Gaskill b. August 01, 1676d. Mar 28 1708
Josiah Gaskill b. July 11, 1678 d. Sept 15 1761 
Gaskill, Samuel (I5491)

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 604» Next»

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 11.0.0, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2017.